Friday, November 13, 2009

meanderings and the search for readers

I of course imagine success in many forms, including popularity for my blogs. The hard part with blogs is advertising. Many search engines use a popularity sort, so of course the ones that aren't well known don't get noticed, while ones already popular get seen first, even when people are looking. With Science Fiction and Fantasy, I think no one's looking.

Some maybe under speculative fiction, and I need to do some searches myself under that heading, but so far what I've found hasn't been helpful. it is too broad, and most of it little different than contemporary fiction, less SF than James Bond. The alternative histories can be interesting but seem to me to require a strong knowledge of the particular history, and most are too modern for my tastes. Historical fiction and novelized history more often hit the medieval stuff I'm interested in, but only a handful break into fantasy or science fiction, and usually only the alternative histories land in a speculative fiction query.

Mostly, though, I need more hours in the day, to explore other sites and find others who might be interested in my stories, to find other writers (I've found a few but understandably, most aren't taking the time to post much on line outside ads for their newly published books. I need to spend more time trying to find publishers or agents for mine, but making the time... I have too many goals, too many interests and writing is more fun. Maybe one of the nights I don't go on line needs to be at the library, browsing the writers guide to publishers or whatever that thing is called. And another to explore other blogs and find my audience one person at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment