Friday, February 5, 2010

Looking for fellow writers

Well, another attempt with surprisingly limited success. This time I started looking for Science Fiction and Fantasy groups that might have a writing interest. i found a couple but the majority have hardly any online presence besides their web page, where members might get alittle information about ongoing activities. Most didn't even have an obvious way to make contact except by going to the posted meeting place and time. Naturally several were for the students of a given university. I hear so much about social software in many forms, but really it still comes down to face-to-face contact. A good sign: I fear that the young generation is so used to communicating on a machine, I begin to wonder if they know how to communicate face-to-face. Apparently they still do that, too, more than online as a way of meeting strangers, it seems.

I tried the social software route, too, but despite many references to being able to find people, not as easy as they make it sound. I found a science fiction writers group and science fiction and fantasy writers group on Facebook. One is brand new, the other low activity, and neither the semi-local groups that I was lead to believe were plentiful and easily found: obviously not by the route I tried, but then, I'm much more a novice at Facebook than even blogging, and I'm still on the beginning end of that, obviously.

Anyone has any suggestions for more ways to share and interchange with fellow writers, your ideas are welcome here!

No comments:

Post a Comment