Friday, January 8, 2010

observations on sex in stories

Every tv show seems to assume that young handsome men and pretty women must be having sex with someone, each other or unnamed persons off stage, and rarely, if ever, married. And that's as true of supposedly realistic shows and stories (it's not onlyon tv) as on fluff shows. The sexy leads these days are never shown as married, as if being married is uncool and marriage the death of a sex life rather than an appropriate place for a rich one. In my own experience, the reverse tends to be true, with the most desireable men in my work and social circles “already taken”. If they are married on the tv shows and movies, and the characters are still desireable, then affairs are all but inevitable, as if physical beauty and desireability were 1) both the same and 2) incompatible with the CHOICE of fidelity.

I do find unmarried characters interesting, and Candice is classic in having sex in my book (nearly the only book I;ve written where the main character has anything but marriage-like relationship or none) but I really must make sure I'm not stuck in the same clche in Cerel! There's no reason some of my officers couldn't be, realistically they would be, married, traveling with spouses, and it would be interesting to show them dealing with separation, a measure of romance that would be a good ballance to Candice's troubled life... hmmm... a bit of a soft side...

No comments:

Post a Comment