Sunday, March 21, 2010

comments about the Earthquake story

When the Earthquake story is done it will be like many of my novels started: a story of sorts in itself, with several characters introduced but not followed very far, explanations proposed but not well fleshed out. I’d like to have a different human involved at each location, with more of a scene to show something of the characters and their nature, have more indicators of the motivation of the N-Dimensional Monolith’s goals. For a short story, I should cut out anything extraneous, but I am always more likely to expand than shrink. More action at the aftershock site, some research into seismology to make the explanations more plausible and teach a little about real quakes and weather change and all in the process, provide more history for the central characters... In this case, Val and Honorr both have an extensive history on several worlds (not planets, but whole fiction worlds) as I play with them, their interactions, side characters, plots, and the rules of their magic. I haven’t found a good fit. Not this one in the end, I’m sure: TADPOLE and Fisian have a history in my never-posted attempts at fanfic and a tv world that some readers may guess despite the name and sex changes. But Val and Honorr make a good pair, so I keep playing. Until I find a good fit, they make a good starting place for challenges and story lines I'm starting to play with.

No comments:

Post a Comment