Friday, April 8, 2011

OOOh, there are times I'm reminded not to talk to co-workers on topics that even border on politics. One learns things one would rather not. Politics not only come out, but people reveal too much information about other aspects of their life, as if the normally taboo subject of politics opened a door. Among other things, I'm always amazed to find out that people making a decent living at a full time job often still have outside jobs, apparently just to fill their time. I don't get it. Noe if they loved the work... well, I suppose they at least like the work, but to me it often sounds like work, not like writing.

Okay, I know plenty of people that don't get that writing isn't work, that revising can be enjoyable (it is, after all, the core of writing). So I suppose other people are allowed to enjoy things that I find to be work. Still, I wonder how many of them find it to be work, too, and just do it to fill the time, as it sounds. Are they deceiving themselves, unwilling to admit they like it (because it is seen as work and not pleasant by many and are taught to think of it as such). Or do they just really not have things to fill their time? I really can't imagine it myself. If my mind needs a break, I crochet or quilt (the quilting part is fairly mindless, not the designing part). If my hands need a break, typing and revising is less demanding than hand writing. If I get bored (unlikely but it can happen) and have a little energy left, there's always some corner of the house that needs to be pulled apart and cleaned and put back together again. (Did you picture a corner structure of brick or wood being pulled apart and reassembled with mortar or nails? I thought of that interpretation just as I finished the sentence; slang has its place, but it does not add clarity in content)

No comments:

Post a Comment