Tuesday, March 8, 2011

writing notes

I was going to post the next scene of E-ships tonight but encountered a problem: big bold notes in the text that say "character description here". I have a couple of characters to introduce and while they have been mentioned, the reader hasn't had a chance to meet them, so I need to write a few sentences to introduce them properly. I'll do that tonight and try to post the scene tomorrow. I've finished the quilting of the quilt I was working on and only need to do the border, which shouldn't take all evening, so it's just a matter of whether I get enough sleep to be conscious in the evening and remember my plans... I sometimes get carried away with writing, or with imagining scenes, that I don't get to sleep as early as I should.

I may have to invent a name, too. Some of my characters have no more than a role or title, like Colonel or Director, and as I introduce them I will invent their names, or at least a step toward a name. The names do change, like other things, but usually in the ballpark of where they started. In this case, the new arrivals on the scene need identifiable sorts of names, appropriate to the nature of the colony, which gives me almost too much variety to chose from, but we'll see. If I get desperate, phone books always have more fascinating names (including great alien names, without much change...) than you would ever guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment