Friday, October 28, 2011

Grimm

Saw it. Liked it for now but we'll see if they can keep it up. A little heavy on the almost-werewolf stuff as opposed to the other story elements of the Brothers Grimm stories, but maybe it will help the transition to have something that has been recently popular, as does the contemporary detective-story-like setting. Not brand new fantasy by any means, nor high fantasy (my favorite) but I'm always happy to see anything with strong traditional elements because it means things that were popular awhile back might become popular again and some of my own writings are not in the current pop themes.

I caught a glimpse of some other show last weekend that I thought was the same series but obviously it's a competitor, with strong similarities and distinct differences (that one seemed to switch between contemporary worlds and somewhere else in a way that this one does not, but I didn't catch enough of it to be sure. Often I've seen stations come out with shows and movie producers come out with movies that have such an obviously shared basis or premise that I wonder if they are two scripts based very loosely on the same book or story, whether someone writes a proposal like a back-of-book blurb and the stories are written based on just that much info, or whether its more like a writing prompt, where a phrase or statement is presented and everyone--at the conference or web site or whatever--is invited to write their own version. I get the challenge, I can see it in series at the same network - hallway chatter? A news blurb passed around the e-mail net that inspires? But when there are so many themes and premises and all out there, can't we get a little wider range of material to choose from?

No comments:

Post a Comment