Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Fix it yourself, or not

Fixing it yourself can save a LOT of money, if you know what you are doing or can follow instructions. If you don't know, it's usually cheaper to pay for the regular maintenance and repairs by a professional. I change light bulbs, paint, and minor woodwork. Power tools are usually for those who know how to use them well and safely. I've replaced electric and light fixtures but if I currently have a professional I know and trust at the time, I figure it's worth it to have someone else to it.

When considering whether to hire for something we CAN do, it often isn't just the bare monetary cost that I consider, though that's part of it. The other big piece is the time: do I have any, will I get to it without having to give up something else valuable or important, like leave time, family time, or time for twenty other projects that I actually prefer to do myself, like cooking and crafts as well as things that could earn me an eventual income (school, work...).

No comments:

Post a Comment