Saturday, October 10, 2009

In my limited experience with blogging, I have found that the hardest part is getting an audience, and the second hardest part is to get them to comment. Despite all the hype, an audience doesn't come instantaneously unless you already have a prebuilt online friendly audience (such as teens who txt each other constantly and can invite each other to join the online world as well as chat). It may be easier than trying to find and put together an offline writing groups to exchange ideas and feedback and socialize with, but not by a lot, at least not in the beginning, and I'm not sure in the long run, either.

As to commenting, a recent conference presentation gave me an answer to why although not a solution. It said it was easy for most people to comment on simple ideas and every day things, like how often to mow the lawn and whether home owners associations should dictate what bushes you can plant (we have actively avoided living anywhere that has an hoa because we would be spending all our planting time in meetings argueing. We prefer plants to lawns.)

It is harder, though, to get people to think and write about more complex issues--they are content to read, may even love to read it, but it is not the average reader who will even comment with a thank you for posting--and almost impossible to get people to comment on a fiction story they are enjoying because the act of writing about it takes them out of the world they are reading about, and no one wants to do that. I edit a lot and have taken many workshops and one of the reasons it is hard to give positive feedback is because it is the problems that takes us out of the fiction world and allows us to notice that the story is made of words rather than scenes and characters and enables us to write a reaction. (That makes it double important to write good, constructive, positive feedback even when we are pointing out a problem.)

So, I like to think that the lack of comments on both my blogs means that people are enjoying my stories, but I fear that in this case (in the other case I know I have readers on the days I post; I can't tell, here) that it is the lack of readers that keeps them from posting. At least here, the older scenes stay around, so a reader joining late can find out what came before.

No comments:

Post a Comment